Campus Safety & Security Tips
Campus Security Monitors and Escorts
The Security Monitor Program offers a walking/biking escort service to and from campus locations and nearby adjacent neighborhoods. This service is available completely free to students, staff, faculty, and visitors to the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus. To request an escort from a trained student security monitor, please call 612-624-WALK (9255) shortly before your desired departure time and walk safely.
Walking, biking, running
When walking, biking, or running on the University campus, please take into account the following safety tips:
- At night, walk with a friend if possible. If you have no one to walk with, call the University's campus escort service at 612-624-9255 (4-WALK).
- Avoid shortcuts. Take well-traveled and well-lit walkways.
- Be alert and aware of the people and environment around you.
- Trust your instincts. If someone makes you uncomfortable, even in daylight, do what is necessary to move away from them.
- If you feel that someone is following you, go immediately to a nearby location where there are more people.
- Know the locations of the special 'Code Blue' emergency phones on campus. Please call the University Police at 612-624-3550 to find out campus locations.
Driving and parking
When driving and parking on the university campus, please take into account the following safety tips:
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times when it's parked and while you are driving. Keep the windows rolled up high enough so that an intruder cannot reach inside.
- When you return to your vehicle, look around it and inside it before you get in.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained. Make sure you have enough gasoline to reach your destination.
- If you will be returning to your vehicle at night, park in a place that will be well lit when you return.
- If your vehicle breaks down, remain inside it with the doors locked. If anyone stops to help, ask them to call a tow truck or the police for you.
- NEVER pick up hitchhikers. This is extremely dangerous.
- Keep valuables (CDs, tapes, purses, briefcases, etc.) out of sight. Lock bags and packages in the car's trunk.
Code Blue Phones
If you are in need of emergency assistance, the Code Blue Emergency Phone will provide instant two-way communication with University Police with the push of one button. Located throughout the Minneapolis and St. Paul Campuses, they are all equipped with a lighted faceplate, a Code Blue Beacon and a high-powered strobe. You can call 612-624-2677 (4-COPS) to find out the location of these phones.